With these 7 tips you’ll find your hairdressing soulmate in no time.
With our simplified how-to you’ll be plaiting this bad-boy in your sleep. Keep reading to learn how to take your braiding game to the next level!
It’s all too easy to neglect your scalp health and focus solely on your hair. But trichologists, aka scalp experts, will tell you that the two are so interlinked you should show as much attention to your scalp care and scalp health as your skin care. Little surprise when you consider that your scalp is just as exposed to the elements as your face every day.
Scalp care isn’t just becoming more of a focus in salons but on bathroom shelves too…
Every scalp is different and scalp conditions can be varied. We’re here to help you suss out how to get a happy, healthy scalp, whatever your concern…
Environmental pollutants and free radicals such as wind, rain and UV rays can be damaging for your overall scalp health. Factor in a build-up of styling products and dry shampoo residue and your scalp may be congested. Look for a purifying scalp care shampoo that removes the build-up of excess products to leave your scalp feeling clean and healthy again.
SCALP CARE SOS: L'Oréal Professionnel Pure Resource Shampoo
To try and improve your scalp health, try and avoid harsh chemical-packed formulations if you have a sensitive scalp. Look for gentle shampoos with naturally derived ingredients instead. Avoiding irritation is key so you’re not itching your scalp, which can exacerbate the condition. Swerve applying any styling products or dry shampoo directly onto your scalp until it starts to look and feel calmer.
SCALP CARE SOS: L'Oréal Professionnel Source Essentielle Delicate Shampoo
Dandruff becomes more noticeable when there’s an imbalance of bacteria on your scalp, or you aren’t washing your hair frequently enough, which can be a constant battle if you have an oily scalp. It can also lead to spots on the scalp. Try an oil detox shampoo that’s designed to instantly absorb excess oil and purify your scalp’s pH levels. Your scalp will look and feel more mattified until your next hair wash.
SCALP CARE SOS: Redken Scalp Relief Oil Detox Shampoo
Fine or thinning hair? Better scalp heath creates better hair health, so focus on your scalp first to nourish thinning hair at the source and improve your hair strength. Try an anti-thinning system regime of products, like Serioxyl, that targets the scalp first. Step one involves a massaging action to stimulate microcirculation of the scalp so that the products work harder.
SCALP CARE SOS: L'Oréal Professionnel Serioxyl range
Unsure of how to address your scalp health and concerns? Follow Skyler McDonald’s top pro tips to show your scalp some love:
1. I see a lot of incorrect self-diagnosis in the salon. Get the correct diagnosis from a dermatologist or trichologist - that way you know the treatment you’re using is correct to maintain a healthy scalp.
2. Stay interested in your scalp condition - read about it, learn about the condition, and look into what types of lifestyle factors, like stress and diet, can really affect the scalp.
3. Keep a diary of when your scalp starts to flare up and worsen. Try and connect the dots as to why the condition worsens at certain times.
4. After treatment courses are done, re-evaluate your scalp. Does the treatment/products you’ve been using need to continue or can this change?
5. Your scalp may need different types of treatments. See what works and what doesn’t.
6. Itchy scalp - If your scalp health and condition is particularly pruritic (itchy), my advice is to treat and relieve fast. Avoid aggressive scratching of the scalp and self-made abrasions- this can cause unwanted infection and may worsen the scalp health.
Oops, something went wrong! Please try again later...