Crazy hair day has become a school festivity embracing all the wacky hair ideas out there- think: Cindy Lou Who!
Dry Shampoo: How to Use it and Why We Love it
Hectic routine? On the hunt for handy hair styling solution? No time to fit in a shampoo shower session? Dry Shampoo ticks all of your tress boxes. In fact, whatever your hair type, time frame or style choice it has you covered from root to tip. Plus anyone can get to grips with this tress tamer. Oh and, just call us mind readers, but were you thinking does dry shampoo damage hair? Panic not, using the right products in the right way means zero damage to tresses just amazing can’t-stop-staring-in-shop-windows-to-admire-your-reflection results.
What is Dry Shampoo?
Always wondered about the lock-loving invention that is Dry Shampoo? This clever product settles over the roots, soaking up any oils it finds in its path so your hair goes from greasy to gorgeous in less than 60 seconds. Our tresses get greasy thanks to excess sebum collecting around the follicles from which hairs grow from. We need a little of this lock oil so strands can poke out healthily, however we then produce too much and it all starts to gather like some kind of oil slick party around the roots. Enter Dry Shampoo to take care of greasy business. Made of simple, absorbing ingredients like starch, which are kind to strands and scalps, they save you any kind of damage worry. Dry Shampoo doesn’t cleanse your hair, you still need to shampoo at some point, however, it does freshen locks up for a few days, meaning you can use it when a blow dry just doesn’t fit into the schedule or you want a more textured style. It’s safe to use every week with hair-pleasing results.
How to Use Dry Shampoo
One of the best things about Dry Shampoo, alongside its freshening and styling skill set, is that it is so easy to use once you know how. Here is our three step guide…
1. Select the right one for you, check out our handy product shopping list below.
2. Apply it in sections, concentrating on the roots. If you have fine hair you can do this in big sections. Owner of thicker locks? Take smaller ones.
3. Comb it through from the roots downwards with a brush or so that any grease further down doesn’t escape and you get that lovely bit of texture too. Tip: Avoid using fingers to prevent more oils or dirt being added to your hair.
Control Oily Roots With Dry Shampoo and Our Top Tress Tips
When taking on oily roots, minus any kind of damage, the best approach is a tag team of specialised shower add-ons plus a Dry Shampoo.
Try a mini massage… your scalp comes into play when sebum process goes into over drive, so show it some TLC. By giving it a mini massage firmly with your fingertips, pre-shampooing, you loosen the build-up of product, grime and grease that collects there so it then washes away in an orderly fashion. This also encourages blood flow to the scalp, bringing in more nutrients and taking away damaging toxins.
Mist on dry shampoo… focus on your roots, where the majority of oils build up, to allow the specialised product to not only absorb the sebum safely but also give you a bit of oomph to style with. Hello volume, texture and depth!
Dry Shampoo Mishap V Dry Shampoo Hack
Dry Shampoo mishap: Too much product blasted onto the roots, too closely causing build up
- Dry Shampoo hack: Spray 15-30 cm away from the roots, go lightly, less is more
Dry Shampoo mishap: Hair lies flat after spritzing product on and leaving locks untouched
- Dry Shampoo hack: Mist on product then comb through with fingers to distribute while creating texture and volume
Dry Shampoo mishap: Dry shampoo is visible on hair
- Dry Shampoo hack: Switch for a Redken or L’Oreal Professionnel Dry Shampoo - they all use invisible formulas
Dry Shampoo & Friends: Best in Show
Here’s our go-to selection so you can choose your own fast fix to suit your locks’ needs…
1. Top Texture: L’Oreal Professionnel Tecni Art Morning After Dust Dry Shampoo is backstage-inspired and will not only freshen up tresses to a just washed status, you also get a bonus sweet smelling spritz of perfume. It’s the micro powder formula that takes care of any oils and gives on trend texture FYI.
2. Blowdry Blowout: Redken Pillow Proof Dry Two Day Extender Aerosol Blow-Dry Hair Powder makes for the perfect dry shampoo plus one for smooth, sleek style lovers and works on most hair types. Clearing up any blow dry – blitzing oils at the roots, midlengths or ends, you can then top up any sections with heated tools if you fancy, it’s that hardcore.
3. Scalp Saviour: Kerastase Specifique Bain Divalent Balancing Shampoo for Oily Roots and Dry Ends is ideal whenever your choose to do your not-so-dry shampooing in the shower. Oily roots are kindly taken care of with a regular dose of these super suds packed with glycine and Vitamin B6, plus the scalp is nourished too, meaning less unnecessary sebum build up in the future.
The power is now in your hands, and strands now we come to mention it. Happy (and healthy) Dry Shampoo-ing…
Oops, something went wrong! Please try again later...