We’ve teamed up with Luke Pluckrose, Creative Director at Saks Hair & Beauty in London to deliver the freshest rendition on the world’s most flattering look (video included).
Ballerina Bun 101: 5 Easy Steps To Make It Flawless Every Time
Elegant. Stylish. Refined. Is there anything the ballerina bun isn’t? We’re crushing hard on this chic look, and by the end of this article, so will you. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know your barre from your allegro, we’re here to reveal exactly how to achieve this pretty-as-a-picture style.
Prima ‘Do: Why You Need To Try The Ballerina Bun
Just because you’re not going to be the starring lead in the ballet, doesn’t mean you can’t look the part. And one way of channelling your inner ballerina is by mastering the signature look- we’re talking ballerina bun how-to! We love the ballerina bun for every occasion: red carpet, casual dinner, a gala, or even on a bad hair day, this ‘do has you covered. Bonus… it suits everyone as it emphasises facial expressions by lifting the hair, which actually gives the face a more youthful appearance. First off, the ballerina bun is an incredibly versatile look, and if your hair is long enough to pull into a ponytail it’s easy as pie to achieve it. We love us an inclusive style, especially one that keeps your hair off your face!
5 Steps To Get The Perfect Ballerina Bun
Our resident pro explains exactly how to achieve this look, step by step. So if you’re wondering about how to do a ballerina bun with thin hair or any other type, you’ve come to the right place!
1. For the perfect ballerina bun, apply a texturising foam product onto towel-dried hair. This will allow the hair to be held in place without falling apart. Experts recommend L'Oréal Professionnel Tecni.Art Volume Envy Extra Mousse, to take your hair to new heights - ideal for those on the thinner hair side of life. Look to heating tools to lend you a helping hand and remember the golden rule when it comes to heat: always protect your hair first! Try L'Oréal Professionnel Tecni.Art Constructor Heat Protection for voluminous results and the best protection for your hair!
2. The following step is to brush all of your hair back with a hair brush. The texturising spray will give your hair grip and hold, making the styling process easier.
3. Next, position the ponytail where the bun is going to be located, and secure it tightly with a hair tie. Brush the hair out to make sure it’s smooth and manageable. Pro tip: alternatively, once you’ve made your ponytail, you can create one or two braids and spool them together for that boho babe effect. An easy and effective way to personalise your bun, just for you!
4. Twist the ponytail into a tightrope and wrap it tightly around the base of your ponytail to form the bun, making sure to tuck all loose ends in neatly. Switch the look up a bit by creating the bun with a wet effect (trending big right now) - or with loose tendrils for a softer look.
5. Secure with bobby pins and a spritz of hairspray (L'Oréal Professionnel Infinium Hairspray is ideal for lightweight hold and a shiny finish) and you’re good to go!
No dancing necessary to rock your ballerina bun in style!
Interested in getting the ballerina bun look? Use our salon locator to book an appointment with a hair professional near you.
Oops, something went wrong! Please try again later...