We’ve rounded up our favourite headband hair looks to deliver you the hair inspo you never knew you needed.
How To Do A Fishtail Braid – The Braid Aid
You may or may not be surprised to hear that one of the most searched beauty trends on the web is “How to do a fishtail braid?”. We’re not... just look at the crisscrossing of beautiful dimension that is a fishtail braid - swooon! There were two types of people in Primary school: those who could braid any hairstyles, and then there’s the rest of us. Sure, it looks super difficult and if you’re like most of us, the schoolyard braid hairstyles game wasn’t your strong suit, but none of that matters! We’ve looked high and low for the the most straightforward approach to the weaving of a fishtail braid, and trust us, it’s foolproof. If you’ve attempted a fishtail braid and the end results are not what you were after, read on my friend! Here’s how to perfect the ‘do that’s somewhat of a celebrity when it comes to braid hairstyles - the fishtail plait.
The Celebrity of Braid Hairstyles: What Is A Fishtail Braid?
You’ve probably known how to do the classic braid hairstyles 3-strand plait since you were 5, but it’s time to exit basic territory and step up your braiding game. Enter: the fishtail braid. This trendy braid hairstyles consists of delicately weaving thin sections of hair together to create a symmetrical effect that looks like the perfectly aligned scales on a fish’s tail. Surely you have been acquainted with this plait already and if you haven’t, have you been living under a rock the last decade? This anything-but-basic braid has eye-catching dimension that sets it apart from other plaits. At first glance, you might be thinking “How the eff do they do that?”. Whilst the intricate appearance makes it look intimidating AF, once you’ve nailed the knack for it, it’s quite simple. The fishtail braid hairstyles is one the cutest ways to hide how long it’s been since you’ve last washed your hair (and it actually works best on hair that hasn’t been washed in a day or two)!
How To Do A Fishtail Braid Like A Pro
We’ve managed to suss out a simplified tutorial containing less than 10 steps, and no this isn’t some kind of sorcery… just our gift to you (because we love you)! All you need is two elastics, hairspray, two hands, and this step-by-step guide! Go ahead, and master these braid hairstyles.
- Start by spritzing some hairspray throughout brushed locks to promote a better grip and hold - we love L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium Hairspray. This product is a backstage favourite at fashion shows because it dries quickly (sans residue), and it offers ultra-hold with a shiny finish.
- Gather all your hair and secure into a ponytail. If this is your first time trying a fishtail braid, start by securing your hair with a disposable clear elastic.
- Divide the ponytail into two, equal-sized ponytails.
- Seperate a half-inch section of hair from the outside of the left ponytail.
- Pull this piece across the top of the left ponytail over to the right ponytail. Pro tip: don’t twist the hair as you bring it across.
- Next, seperate a half-inch section from the outside of the right ponytail. Pull this piece across the top of the right ponytail over to the left ponytail.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until you’ve run out of hair (and don’t worry about it looking messy, it makes it look even better.)
- To finish, secure the end of your fishtail with an elastic (if you used an elastic to start at the nape of the neck, snip it out and be sure to adjust the hair so there’s no crease.
Switch Up The Style: The Many Ways To Wear The Fishtail Braid
The evolution of the fishtail braid has brought us heaps of different braid hairstyles it and we’re dishing you our favourites! First off, these braid hairstyles works best on those with long hair for obvious reasons… but that doesn’t mean that you short-haired gals can’t try out one of the many renditions that involves small ‘lil itty bitty fishtail plaits. Have gander for some serious hair inspo!
This take on the fishtail braid is fun, feminine, and flirty. If this trifecta entices you, you need to try this ‘do! We love this look paired with a fisherman’s hat to sport at a music festival or even for a girls night out.
Slicked Back Fishtail Ponytail
We love this look for more formal events. After fashioning your hair into a ponytail, use a gel to get that wet, slicked back look that’s trending hard right now. It’s best to have someone else braid in your fishtail because the placement should be at the back of your head - unless you’re a braiding genie, then props.
Double Crown Fishtail Braid
As we mentioned earlier, we would include a fishtail plait that suits shorter hair, et voila! Here it is - the fishtail for everyone. Gather a few tendrils nearer to the front of your head, braid in the fishtail plait, and cross them over for a mini crown. This look would make even mermaids jealous.
Follow this tutorial for success and remember: you won’t need to be fishing for any compliments with the fishtail braid, you’re sure to be showered in them!
Interested in fishtail braids? Use our salon locator to book an appointment with a hair expert near you.
Oops, something went wrong! Please try again later...